Thursday, April 13, 2017

Spinach and Cottage Cheese Samosa/ Palak paneer Samosa


I have not been active in this space for some time now. I missed my blog space a lot. I had a lovely short trip to my brother’s place in Ohio and so I couldn’t blog from there, (which I planned to) as I was enjoying with my lovely niece and naughty nephew. This whole time, I didn’t cook anything, as I was enjoying my Sister- in law's amazing dishes. In some of my previous blog posts, I have mentioned about her dishes like the chocolate roll cake and the baked apple roses. As now I have returned, everything is back to normal. I started my routine and so after the break, the post which I thought would be perfect was this snack which is everyone's favorite.


We all know that spinach and paneer is an amazing combination in Indian curries. So I thought why not try it out in our favorite samosas. Samosas are deep fried snacks, which has a filling of meat/ vegetables. Samosas are one of the most common snacks in India. They are very special during the month of Ramadan, which is eaten as an iftar snack. These are easy to make, only difficult part is to make the dough and shaping them into a cone, but if you have spring roll sheets then within minutes an amazingly delicious snack will be ready to eat.


Ingredients:
For the Filling:
  1. Spinach- a small bunch
  2. Cottage Cheese- ½ Cup
  3. Garam Masala Powder- ½ tsp
  4. Oil- 1 tbsp
  5. Onions (chopped)- 1 no
  6. Green Chillies (chopped finely)- 2 nos
  7. Ginger (crushed)- 1 tbsp
  8. Garlic (chopped)- 1 tbsp
  9. Cumin powder- 1 tsp
  10. Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
  11. Coriander powder- 1 tsp
  12. Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
  13. Oil- for deep frying
For the Dough:
  1. All Purpose flour- 11/2 Cups
  2. Salt- as required
  3. Melted butter- 2 tbsp
  4. Ajwain/ caraway seeds- 1 tbsp
  5. Water- required to knead the dough
Method:

  1. In a bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, salt, melted butter along with required amount of water into a smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for some time.
  2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan, saute the onions. When they turn translucent, add the ginger, garlic and green chilies.
  3. Saute till the raw smell disappears. Add the chopped spinach, stir till it becomes soft. Add the crushed cottage cheese and mix well till everything gets blended well.
  4. In the above add the garam masala powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix and switch off the flame.
  5. Divide the above-made dough into small round balls of 12- 15.
  6. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough balls into small round discs, cut into half, water the straight edge and join the edges to make a cone. Press gently to seal the edges.take a spoon full of the filling and place it inside. Seal the other end and press gently make sure that the filling doesn’t come out.
  7. Repeat with the remaining dough and the filling. When all the samosas are ready, heat oil for deep frying and fry the made samosas till golden brown. When they are done drain on a kitchen tissue and serve hot along with tomato ketchup or green chutney.



1 comment:

  1. Love the spinach and cottage cheese filling, yummilicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...