Lamingtons are traditional Australian dessert, made from squares of cake, coated with a layer of chocolate and rolled in desiccated coconut. The thin coating of the chocolate and desiccated coconut is an amazing combination when we bite into the small square pieces of the cake.
From the time I started blogging, I wanted to make these little cuties, which I saw in Ria’s collection, but thinking about the sugar used in these, I thought of making for some special occasion and today I am here with these beauties, which I made for my daughter’s school project.
They have a project, in which each kid had to choose a country, which they never visited and my daughter chose Australia and she has to study about the country and make a brochure using library books and on the last day of the project they have to take a traditional food of the country. I was searching a lot and then came to know that these little melt in mouth cake pieces are Australia’s traditional dessert. I grabbed the opportunity to try out these amazing dessert.
Usually, these are baked in the cake tin and then cut into desired shaped and dipped in chocolate and coconut. But I baked them in a baking tray So that it’s easy to cut and much easier to dip into chocolate icing. This recipe makes bite-sized lamingtons, which are perfect for parties or any gatherings. I doubled the recipe and so I got around 90- 100 square pieces so that I gave some to my dear friends. These lamingtons are irresistible. The Australian cuties will become your favorite within no time, just try this out and let me know.
For the cake:
- All purpose Flour- 2 Cups
- Sugar- ½ Cup
- Butter- ½ Cup
- Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
- Baking Soda- ½ tsp
- Baking Powder- 1 tsp
- Eggs- 2 nos
- Milk- 1 ¼ Cups
For the Chocolate Coating:
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Water ¾ Cup
- Cocoa Powder- 3 tbsp
- Sugar- 2 Cups
- Desiccated Chocolate- for rolling the cake pieces
The method for the cake:
- Cream butter and sugar till light and soft. Beat the eggs along with vanilla essence till creamy and fluffy.
- Add this beaten egg mixture to the butter- sugar mixture till well blended.
- Sieve the flour along with baking soda and baking powder and keep this aside.
- Alternating with milk, add the sieved flour into the butter- egg mixture and fold well till all the flour and milk gets over.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer the batter to a greased baking tray and bake for about 25- 30 minutes.
- When done, cool and cut the cake into small squares.
Method for chocolate coating
- Boil the water and butter to rolling boil.
- Mix the sugar and cocoa powder well. Add this boiled water- butter mixture and stir well.
- Keep this aside.
Assembling the Lamingtons:
- Drop a square piece of the cake into the chocolate coating, using a fork dip it well till the cake piece is coated with chocolate.
- Take the chocolate-coated piece and drop it in the desiccated coconut which we kept in a bowl.
- Roll the cake piece well in the desiccated coconut, with the help of a fork. Repeat with the remaining pieces till they get over.
- Arrange it on a plate and serve.