Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Baked Butter murukku/ Chakli / Rice Flour Spiral Savoury



Murukku is a crunchy, savory snack of India. There are different variations in making this savory. Usually, this murukku is deep fried in oil, but I thought of baking thinking about the calories. Successfully it came out perfectly crunchy and crispy. There is no compromise in taste.


I used my mom’s recipe for this murukku. My mom makes different varieties and in different shapes, but deep fries them. All of them tasted yummy… She used to store them in airtight steel containers and used to refill them whenever it is finished.
From so long, I wanted to try this murukku, but I didn’t have the mold. This mold I borrowed from a friend and the next day I tried. They came out well. You can adjust the spice, according to your taste buds. This will be liked by adults and kids. As this is baked, you don’t have to worry about remaining oil. The method is easy and within minutes a delicious snack will be ready. This tastes just like oil fried murukku.


Murukku is a combination of rice, black gram, and chickpea flour mixed along with spices, salt, butter and required amount of water, which is then kneaded to a smooth dough and then shaped into spirals or coil using a mold, which is then deep fried.
Ingredients:
  1. Rice Flour- 1 Cup
  2. Urad dal/ Black Gram- ¼ cup
  3. Chickpea Flour- ¼ Cup
  4. Asafoetida- ½ tsp
  5. Sesame seeds- 2 tbsp
  6. Red Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
  7. Water- ⅓ Cup
  8. Hot Oil- 2 tbsp
  9. Butter- 2 tbsp
  10. Salt- as required
Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and keep this aside.
  2. Roast the urad dal till it turns light brown in color.When cooled grind to a fine powder.
  3. In a bowl take the rice flour, roasted and ground urad dal flour, chickpea flour, butter, red chili powder, sesame seeds asafoetida and required the amount of salt.
  4. Mix with hands. Add the hot oil and stir well. With required amount of water to make a smooth dough. Do not add too much water at a time.
  5. Grease the mold and fill the mold with the dough and press the mold to make spirals and shape it till required.
  6. Finish off the remaining dough by making spirals and bake for about 20- 25 minutes. Cool it and store in airtight container and enjoy.




7 comments:

  1. send me some ;), I love muruku but never made them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. send me some ;), I love muruku but never made them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn’t work fine for me!! I followed exact quantities using measuring cups and measuring spoons with exact temperature as instructed

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...