I made it… I made it… Yayyy!!!! At last, I made it. My all time favorite cake. I never thought that one day I would be baking a traditional Kerala Christmas plum cake, which is a long process of soaking the dry fruits in alcohol for a period of 6 months to a year, but today I am here with this recipe that doesn’t require to soak the dry fruits in advance and it’s an alcohol free cake so that you can try this instantly anytime. This cake tasted exactly like the cakes which we get in bakeries.
I used to eat this a lot as a kid when we visited our native Kerala for vacations. Then whenever my D-I-L visited us, bought this cake. I loved this cake almost all the time I tasted.
This fruit cake is rich and full of soaked raisins, cranberries, dates, cashews in apple juice which are well incorporated with the cake batter and sugar syrup and the amazing combination of spices which is then baked to a simple, perfect cake and by now your house will be filled with the aroma of the spice-filled plum cake which is to die for.
In Kerala, in almost all the bakery shops, we will get this fruit cake anytime of the year. This soft, moist, filled with dry fruits, the spiced cake will be loved by all. The process looks tedious, but believe me, if you keep all the ingredients together then everything will get over within a short period of time. Just try this out and let me know.
- Black Raisins-1/2 cup
- Golden Raisins- 1/2 cup
- Dried Cranberries- 1/2 cup
- Dates( chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Cashew- 1/2 cup
- Apple juice1 cup
For the cake batter:
- Maida- 2 cups
- Baking Soda- 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Butter- 1/2 cup
- Sugar3/4 cup
- Eggs- 3 nos
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Cinnamon- 1 " stick
- Cloves- 2 nos
- Star Anise- small piece
- Nutmeg- small piece
For the Sugar Syrup:
- Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1/4 cup
For spice powder:
Grind the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and star anise to a powder using a pinch of sugar and keep this aside.
For soaking dry fruits:
- Take all the dry fruits in a glass bowl and pour the apple juice. Mix well and keep this refrigerated for one day.
For sugar syrup:
- Heat a nonstick pan and melt the sugar, by whisking in between till it turns dark brown color. Don't let it burn.
- Pour water slowly and mix well. Keep this aside to cool.
For the cake batter:
- Beat eggs till fluffy and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla essence.
- Mix till everything is well blended. Add the sugar. Beat well.
- Meanwhile, separate the soaked dry fruits with the apple juice using a sieve.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour to the separated dry fruits. Mix so that it won't sink to the bottom.
- In the above butter- sugar mixture add the separated apple juice, cooled sugar syrup mix well.
- Sieve the flour along with baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold this flour in the above mixture well, till everything gets finished.
- Add the soaked dry fruits, fold and pour this in a greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 45- 50 minutes in 350 degrees F.
- When the skewer comes out clean, let it cool and enjoy.