Friday, May 6, 2016

Umm Ali/ Egyptian Bread Pudding


This umm ali is an Egyptian sweet, that has a layer of puff pastry sheets, nuts and milk. This dessert is totally delicious, easy, simple and made with very less ingredients.
This looks similar to bread pudding. You can even add raisins, desiccated coconut, chocolate chips of your choice.




I first heard about this dessert long back, but couldn't try because of the non availability of puff pastry sheets. I completely forgot about this dish and one day my brother, when he visited Kuwait, he ate this at a friend’s place and told me about this awesome dessert. Then itself I have decided that this one I am going to try and within minutes a wonderful dessert is made.I was really surprised that this lovely dessert can be made easily. Just a mouthful and you will be mesmerized with the flavors and I am sure that you won't stop with a little.


This is a warm, comforting, gooey and very delicious dessert. Now I am thinking, I should have tried this dessert long back...


Adapted from All Recipes:
Ingredients:
  1. Puff Pastry Sheets- 1 Packet (thawed)
  2. Milk- 3 Cups
  3. Sugar- ¾ Cup (as required)
  4. Almonds- ½ Cup
  5. Pistachios- ½ Cup
  6. Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
  7. Cream- ½ Cup
Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bread pan with butter and arrange the puff pastry sheets one over the other and bake for about 15 minutes. The puff pastry should be golden and puffed.
  2. In a sauce pan heat milk along with sugar and vanilla essence. Stir well and let it boil for about 15- 20 minutes till the milk is reduced little. Switch off the flame.
  3. Break the puff pastry sheets into pieces and place it in the bread pan, sprinkle some powdered almonds and pistachios.
  4. Over this pour the boiled, reduced milk and cream  and remaining nuts on top. Bake for 20- 25 minutes and serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...