I am a big fan of brinjal. Brinjal in any form(except raw) I would love to gobble up. But after marriage, intake of brinjal has come down as my husband doesn't love this veggie at all.. :(
This curry is entirely different from bhagare baingan. This is a simple and easy-to-make recipe. This is a perfect finger licking dish that can be served along with rotis, naans, chapatis and rice. Try this out and you will love this for sure.
In this dish, the brinjals are stuffed with a simple masala, shallow fried and cooked and simmered in tamarind gravy. And here is the recipe...
- Brinjal- 6-7 nos
- Onions- 2 nos
- Shallots- ½ cup
- Green Chillies- 3 nos
- Ginger and Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 2 tbsp+ 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 3 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Powder- 1 tsp
- Tamarind- lemon size
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves- few
- Salt- as required
- Soak the tamarind in a little warm water.
- Slit each brinjals diagonally with the stalks intact. Mix 1 tbsp of red chilli powder and salt in a bowl using little amount of water. Stuff this mix in the slitted brinjals and keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, lightly fry these brinjals for about 10 minutes on medium flame and keep this on kitchen towel.
- Chop the onions and shallots using a blender. In the same above oil splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped onions- shallots mixture and stir well till they turn translucent. Add the slited green chillies, curry leaves. After about 5- 10 minutes add the ginger and garlic paste.
- As the raw smell disappears add the brinjals and lightly stir for about a minute. Now add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Add the tamarind water and add about a ½ Cup of water and let this boil for about 15- 20 minutes on low flame by closing with a lid.
- At last add the fenugreek powder, stir and switch off the flame and serve along with piping hot rice and enjoy.