Wishing all my friends a Merry Christmas !!!
The dough needs to be kept in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or it will be sticky. This ginger and spice bread cookies make perfect Christmas goodies to munch on and to gift the near and dear ones. The amount of cinnamon, cloves and ginger can be adjusted according to individual taste.
- All purpose flour- 3 Cups
- Baking powder- 1 ½ tsp
- Baking soda- ¼ tsp
- Salt- a pinch
- Cinnamon powder- 1 tsp
- Cloves powder- ½ tsp
- Ginger (grated)- 3 tbsp
- Brown Sugar- 1 ½ Cup
- Egg- 1 no
- Butter- 6 tbsp
For Royal Icing:
- Sugar- ½ Cup
- Egg White- 1 no
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Beat the egg whites till stiff peaks. In this add the lemon juice and icing sugar little by little and beat well using the blender till it forms smooth and shiny.
- Pour this in a piping bag and design on cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Sieve the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, cloves powder thrice. Keep this aside.
- Beat the egg in a glass bowl, add sugar and butter. Beat till the sugar gets dissolved.
- Add the sieved flour mixture and mix well till blended and forms a smooth dough. Keep this dough in refrigerator for about 2 hrs.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll using a rolling pin. Cut the rolled dough into desired shapes using cutter.
- Place the shapes on a greased baking tray and bake for about 10- 15 minutes.
- When it is done remove the cookies and place on a wire rack. Let it cool.
- After the cookies are cooled decorate them using royal icing.