Friday, November 28, 2014

Peanut Brittle/ Chikki/ Kadala Muttai


Whenever I go to buy groceries, I would always sneek into the eatery section (ie. if my husband is not watching :-) and would grab these peanut chikkis. If I think about the calories, I would never have these and my husband doesn’t allow me to eat it either, especially after my C-section. But I just couldn’t resist the taste and flavor.



These brittles can be made using jaggery as well as sugar. I like it either way. Whole peanuts and ground peanuts are used to make these brittles. In my childhood, when my Mom used to prepared these, I would grab some 4-5 “slabs” at a time. She used to make it with jaggery.


Once when I was googling around Ria’s blog, I came across this brittle and fell in love with these.So when this time my mom was around, I bought a packet of peanuts and we tried this ground peanut chikki using sugar and trust me, it vanished in 2-3 days !!
Adapted from here
Ingredients:
  1. Peanuts- 2 cups
  2. Sugar- 1 Cup
Method:

  1. Melt the sugar in a non stick pan without adding water till it dissolves completely. When it turns dark brown in colour and then switch off the flame.
  2. Meanwhile coarsely ground the peanuts using a rolling pin. Add these ground peanuts and mix quickly in the above caramel mixture. Spread this using the back of a spoon over a greased plate and cut with a sharp knife in desired shape.
  3. When it is cool completely, cut into pieces.






1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...