Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tenga Achar / Coconut Pickle


Its scorching hot in Kerala and everyone is behind the cool stuffs that are available around. Now you might be thinking that my next post is something about juice or smoothie or an ice cream, but you will be surprised that in this hot weather I am posting a recipe of spicy pickle.




I am at my mom's place to enjoy the vacations. Here I am in no mood to try a hot pickle, but this is all because of my brother who is a big fan of coconut pickle. I don't know from where he got to taste this pickle. He was insisting me to buy this for him from here. First I thought I would take the recipe of this pickle from any of the blogs and will prepare this pickle. But as I googled I came to know that nobody has tried this before. I got one or two recipes using coconut pieces, but it was not the one which I was searching for. Then I tried the next best thing, to ask everyone through blogs, groups and to all my near and dear relatives. But no one had a clue of this pickle. My bro insisted me to try to make it on my own so that I could innovate something new. When I stayed at my in- laws place I searched all the supermarkets, but in vain. So when I came to my house, I tried making this with the help of my mom.


First I made it with grated coconut then I tried it with coconut pieces. Both came out well. But I liked the grated coconut pickle as it had absorbed all the oil and it will taste nice when we mix in hot rice. I hope my bro too likes this.


Ingredients:

  1. Coconut (grated)- 2 nos.
  2. Gingelly Oil- 1/4 Cup
  3. Mustard Seeds- 1 tbsp
  4. Fenugreek Seeds- 1tsp
  5. Curry Leaves- a handful
  6. Red Chillies- 8-9 nos
  7. Garlic- 1/2 Cup
  8. Salt- as required
  9. Red Chilli Powder- 3 tbsp
  10. Turmeric Powder- 1 tbsp
  11. Fenugreek Powder- 1/2 tbsp
  12. Asafoetida- 1tsp
  13. Vinegar- 6 tbsp
Method:
  1. Fry the grated coconut till it turns to golden brown. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
  2. Pour oil in a kadai. Splitter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
  3. In this add the curry leaves, red chillies and garlic. Mix well till the raw smell of the garlic disappears.
  4. Add the roasted coconut, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and at last asafoetida. Mix well. Add the required amount of salt.
  5. In this add vinegar and stir well till everything is well blended.
For coconut pieces pickle:
  1. The process is same as above, but instead of grated coconut we use 2 cups of coconut pieces.
  2. We have to roast the pieces till they are golden brown in colour.
  3. Take 1 cup shallots and fry till they change colour.
  4. Add these roasted coconut and shallots after adding garlic and continue with remaining process.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious, am hearing tenga achar for the first time here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you decided to come up with your own recipe for this! I remember you asking about it but I too had not heard about a coconut pickle. Sounds delicious and I hope your brother knows how lucky he is to have a loving sister like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why on earth would you publish measurements such as Nos. which would leave most people used to universal measurements completely at sea. Even after googling it I still have no idea what quantity is required. And would it not have been easier to say Indian sesame oil? I am a food writing editor - your blog is nicely laid out, easy on the eyes - but maybe try keeping the expressions simpler?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor you. Made it hard to rip off the recipe did it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...