Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spicy and Saucy Chole with deep fried Soft Bature / Spicy chickpeas with deep fried Bread


This is a combination of spicy Chickpea curry and fried bread called batura. This is a heavy breakfast item and  a popular street food which is very popular in northern parts of India. This is also called as chole poori as the batura resembles a poori. This has been my all time favorite restaurant food. When ever we go out for dinner, I order these without thinking about the calories :-) Though it is a  heavy junk food item, this is so yummy. 



After my marriage when I came to Banglore I tried this in a restaurant and from then on I haven't stopped ordering this whenever we go out. My Husband gives a big NO to this as this is very rich and highly fattening. Now  a days I make this at home but very very rarely. This time I thought of making this for iftar as this will be  a whole meal for dinner. 

In restaurants we will be getting big baturas, I made small ones so that I can fry them easily. Everyone will be having their own variations in making this chole bature. This is my version of making the batura and for curry I followed “Aayi’s Recipes” blog, which has so many collection of recipes.
Please excuse the poor photo quality of the batura snap, as I took that in low light i.e at the time of iftar.

Ingredients:
For Batura:
  1. Maida / All purpose flour- 1cup
  2. Ghee- 1tsp
  3. Yeast- 1/2tsp
  4. Sugar- ½ tsp
  5. Hot water- ½ cup
  6. Egg- 1no
  7. Salt- to taste
  8. Water- enough for kneading
  9. Oil- for deep frying

Method
For batura:
  1. Crumble the ghee into the flour. Mix well till the mixture resembles sand. Keep it aside fro 10 minutes.
  2. Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together in a cup and keep it aside for rising. The yeast will rise and get frothy within 15minutes.
  3. Pour this yeast mixture into the prepared  flour and mixture into the prepared flour and mix well.
  4. Add the egg and salt to taste. Knead the dough well. Sprinkle water in between till the dough becomes soft and pliable. Keep it aside for rising for about ½ an hour.
  5. Make small balls and roll them like pooris (but slightly thicker).
  6. Heat the oil in a frying pan . When it is sufficiently hot, deep fry the baturas.
  7. Serve hot with chole curry.



For Chole curry: Adapted from Aayi’s Recipes
  1. Chana / chickpea- 1 ½ cups
  2. Tomatoes- 2nos
  3. Cardamom- 1no
  4. Cloves- 3nos
  5. Cinnamon- 1 small stick
  6. Coriander seeds- ½ tsp
  7. Jeera seeds- ½ tsp
  8. Fenugreek seeds- ¼ tsp
  9. Pepper seeds- ¾ tsp
  10. Onions- 2nos
  11. Ginger and Garlic paste- 1tbsp
  12. Red chilli powder- 1tsp
  13. Salt- as per taste
Method:
For  chole curry:
  1. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight and cook them in pressure cooker till soft.
  2. Grind the tomatoes and keep it a side.
  3. Dry roast cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds, jeera seeds, fenugreek seeds, pepper seeds and powder them.
  4. Heat oil in a kadai and fry the chopped onions till golden brown in colour. Add the ginger and garlic paste and stir well.
  5. Add the ground tomatoes, ground masala, red chilli powder and salt. Cook for sometime and add the cooked chickpeas and cook for some time.
  6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve this hot with bature.



I am sending this to Serve it fried which is co hosted by Krithi’s Kitchen, Joy from fasting to feasting and Iftar nights.

19 comments:

  1. A match made in heaven ~ I can eat this every single day without complaining :))
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow !! I have have these hot bhatures anytime of the day !! posted my version just few days ago only...Your's looking fantastic

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zareena - TOOOOO tempting! Love this combo and my son dies for it altho I have only made baturas a couple of times at home - Eating virtually dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Aipi, this is truly a combination made in heaven.
    Loved your version too Deepa.
    Now serving- this is my little one's all time favorite too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both chole and baturae looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the best combo on earth..


    Thanks For Linking it with Iftar Nights..
    Jabeen's Corner

    Ongoing Event-Iftar nights

    ReplyDelete
  7. Platter looks so delicious,my all time fav

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious looking combination looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can have this anytime :) irresistible combo!

    You have a collection of nice homely recipes which I really love, girl!

    Keep up your good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite combo! Looks too too tempting! Wish I could have some :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wowww... superb combo.. to have this i had traveled 16kms with my baby... :) my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bhature and chole is an all time favorite combo with my kids and I! We love it as a snack, breakfast dish or even dinne--whatever :) Zari, your chole looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for all your sweet notes. Nice to see that this is indeed a favorite combo of all.
    Thank you Bharathy, Vidhya and notat100 for visiting my space and leaving your precious comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the information about the english name, Amaranth tender! Have updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You still carry the patience to click at Iftaar time dear....that's great....this is one of my favourites too....thank u for linking it to Joy From Fasting To Feasting-IV

    ReplyDelete
  16. ur chole is making me hungry....looks perfectly cooked and the rich gravy yumm...truly yummy combination

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...