Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sukhiyan / Green gram dal fritters


My Husband loves this snack a lot, so I thought of making this on his birthday. I usually bake  cakes whenever I feel like. So baking a cake on his birthday will not surprise him and so I made these lovely cute sukhiyans for his birthday. Not only sukhiyan but many more like Date Love (sweet with dates), Sharkara payasam, Ney chor (ghee rice) and so on. You can see all the other in my coming posts. My Husband and even my Dad both love this snack.

Sukhiyan is a common snack item in Kerala. In Kerala’s local tea shops, this will be seen in the glass almirah mostly during tea time. We can say that this is the brother of Andhra poornalu and also a bit like modhakam. The name “Sukhiyan”, I think is because of the “Sukh” while eating this. :-).. Wow what a revelation and a half:-)

Enough stories.. Lets get into the recipe now. It is a snack made of moong dal, coconut and jaggery coated with maida batter and deep fried in oil.



Ingredients:
  1. Moong Dal (green gram dal) / Cherupayar- ½ cup
  2. Jaggery (grated) - ½ cup
  3. Coconut- 1cup
  4. Cardamom Powder- 1tsp
  5. Water- as required
  6. For batter:
  7. Maida / all purpose flour- 1cup
  8. Cumin- 2tsp
  9. turmeric powder- 1tsp
  10. Salt- a pinch
  11. Water- to mix


Method:
  1. Wash Green gram and cook in pressure cooker till it is soft. Do not overcook.
  2. In a pan, add jaggery with little water and melt. When it starts thickening, add the grated coconut,  cardamom powder and mix well.
  3. Add the cooked moong dal and saute well till it becomes dry without any water is left.
  4. Remove from stove and keep it aside. Allow it to cool
  5. In a bowl, take maida, salt, turmeric powder and cumin. Add water till it becomes lump less thick batter.
  6. Make small size balls with the moong dal mixture. Dip it in the maida batter and deep fry it in hot oil.
  7. Enjoy this with a cup of hot tea.
  8. In the first session of frying, I forgot to add turmeric powder. Those are the white sukhiyans you see in the photo. :-)
I am sending this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Magpie.

15 comments:

  1. This is my hus fav....its come very nice...yummy ..

    FunWidFud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! adipoli sukhiyan..making me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, these are my favourite childhood snack, my grandmother used to make this for me. Even now I love this, looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very healthy choice, luks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. my hub's fav snack....looks perfect n superb dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your sweet notes and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy! This is my favorite too...

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! That's my mother's and my favorite sweet snack- I used to enjoy it almost daily on my last visit home and I usually make it during Ramadan :)

    Hey Zareena, I have some awards waiting for you in my blog and I hope you visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds delicious.. A very new recipe for me , loved all the flavors n ingredients going in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Zareena! I have never had this! I must definitely try it! Thanks for sending it over to the Kerala Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your lovely notes Palatable and Sarah.
    Thank you for considering me for the award Nash. Sure I will take it soon.
    Welcome Aipi, in my little space. Thanks for your lovely comment.
    Hey Magpie, Just try this. Its so easy to make. Let me know how it turned.
    Hey Rumana, Happy holi to you tooo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...