Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ranginak (Persian date Cake)


This is a very famous Iranian dessert. I tasted this when we recently visited a Sufi restaurant.We wanted to try something unique so thought of going there. It was worth visiting the place for its Iraninan ambience. We liked all the dishes what we tried and  this dessert was a real summary of their amazing cuisine.
I liked this dessert so much that I got the recipe from the restaurant itself and made it. In the first attempt, it did not taste as good as I had it at Sufi, but eventually it improved and I thought of sharing this recipe with all of you.
This is a very quick and nutritious dessert and has stunning visual effect, soft dates stuffed with roasted walnuts. The main ingredient is the butter roasted flour. The taste and texture is terrific and it easily melts in your mouth. My little one loves this a lot.
Traditinonally it is said that ranginak is served with a hot cup of persian tea.I am happy that it came out exactly like what we had in restaurant. This is also called as persian nut fudge.



Ingredients:
  1. All purpose flour- 2cups
  2. Clarified butter- 1cup
  3. Sugar- ½ cup
  4. Dates- 4 to 5 nos
  5. Walnuts- 4-5nos
Method:
  1. Dry roast the walnut in askillet and keep it aside.
  2. Half slit the dates and stuff with roasted walnuts.
  3. Take a non stick pan and add the butter and when it melts add required amount of sugar(adjust the sugar as per taste) and stir well till the sugar melts.
  4. Add the flour and stir well till it becomes light brown colour.
  5. Pour the flour mix in a flat dish and flatten the surface with the back of a spoon.
  6. Place each stuffed dates on the flour mix.
  7. Serve this warm. 
Please watch out for the restaurant reviews in this blog.



.
The dessert which we ate in the restaurant was like this
I am sending this to Kid’s Delight an event hosted by Champa.


15 comments:

  1. Must be a very healthy version of cake, looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ayeesha, this is a very healthy dessert. I make this only for my daughter(eventhough I like this a lot, my Husband wont allow me to eat this) :-)
    I dont know why they call this as cake, it is so much as a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely dessert! Looks yummy...


    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks totally rich, wish could have some now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great Iranian sweet treat, yum! Gotta try it when we next dine out at an Iranian restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a completely new dish to me....like halwa but so much more to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..good work. Neat lil blog you have. Will follow you regularly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you soo much girls, thanks for your lovely cute comments.
    Thankyou Sangeeta, Tipsndeals and Judy for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks incredible...I love Kabuli dates so much, but never thought of whipping a dessert. I am positive I will try this recipe soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious....got a lovely blog...following it...

    FunWidFud

    ReplyDelete
  11. So simple and it looks so good! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Malar: Let me know how it turned :)
    Thanks a lot Reshmi.
    Thank you Reshmi, Sarah and Constructive Deconstruction for your sweet notes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is new to me n looks so delicious..will try this one..
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dear,
    Thanks alot ... even u have a great space:) hope to see your entries soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...