Friday, March 11, 2011

Kodi Iguru / Chicken in caramelised onions


Once I was searching for a new chicken recipe so that I could try something which i had  not tried before and I bumped into this recipe from Nagalakshmi’s (Nags) Edible Garden .

A word about Nags. She is my S-i-l’s classmate and I met her first time at my marriage. As I was interested in cookery, my S-i-l introduced me to Nag’s blog and from then on, I am a follower of her recipes and photography tips. She is indeed a good chef, great photographer and a good writer. I must tell you, I have learnt a whole lot of new stuff from her blog.

This Kodi iguru is an Andhra dish which is made in different ways, but I liked this method a lot as this is so easy and very delicious side dish for rice or chappathis.


Ingredients:
  1. Chicken pieces- 250gms
  2. Cinnamon sticks- 3nos
  3. Cardomom pods- 3nos
  4. Cloves- 6nos
  5. Star Anise- 2nos
  6. Dry Red chillies- 7-8nos
  7. Turmeric powder- 1tsp
  8. Fennel seeds- 1tsp
  9. Coriander powder- 1tbsp
  10. Oil- 1tbsp
  11. Mustard seeds- 1tsp
  12. Onions- 1no
  13. Curry leaves- few
  14. Ginger-garlic paste- 1tbsp
  15. Tomatoes- 1no
  16. Salt- as required

Method:
  1. Grind ingredients 2 to 9 to a powder.
  2. In a kadai, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add the chopped onions and curry leaves.
  3. When they turn golden brown in colour, add ginger, garlic paste and the above ground masala. At this stage, add a little more of oil if the mixture is too dry.
  4. Add the chopped tomatoes, chicken and salt. Stir well so that every thing is mixed well.
  5. Cook in low flame, with the kadai covered, till the chicken is cooked well.
  6. Serve with hot rice.

6 comments:

  1. Wow yummy dish. There is an award for u in my blog come and grab it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you knew Nags- she's such a sweetheart. Though I haven't met her, feels like I know her really well. Strange, huh :) The curry looks really delicious, Zareena. And I loved your first picture and presentation, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slurp....can think how super it wud have been with caramelised onion...

    FunWidFud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Harika, for your lovely award.
    Thank you all for your encouragement and sweet notes.
    Yeah Nash, she is such a sweet person.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...