This is a common vegetable which is generally found in the market. This time I thought of trying this and bought one. On cooking, red cabbage will normally turn blue. To retain the red colour, you should add vinegar or acidic fruit. Without knowing that, I prepared this thoran, but after some reading I came to know about the trick of adding vinegar.
- Red Cabbage(shredded)-1/2
- Onions- 1 nos
- Green Chillies- 2-3 nos
- salt- to taste
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Coconut (grated)- 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves-few
- Chop onions and greenchillies and mix it along with cabbage.
- Heat oil in a non stick kadai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the finely shredded cabbage mixture and curry leaves.
- Add salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Do not add water while cooking cabbage, otherwise it will become soggy.
- Now add grated coconut. Mix well and cook again without lid for 6-8 minutes till dry. Serve with rice.